Wednesday, July 26, 2006

This could be my most important post this season


This really could be my most important post this season and the accompanying picture really says it all. These are my feet in front of the first year garden. I have just obtained a garden patio set with table, chairs and even an umbrella so I can sit out and see what changes I've wrought in my gardening empire.

The point here is that if your feet don't go up regularly in the garden - if you don't take the time to sit in your garden then what's the point of gardening?

If you garden for the exercise, then I can understand if you don't spend time smelling the flowers.

If you garden for the status, then I can understand it if you're never even seen in the garden.

If you garden for the neighbours, why then I'm sure you'll do fine.

But if you garden for yourself, then you need a place to sit and enjoy the fruits of your labours. If you garden for yourself, then you need a place for morning coffees and afternoon drinks.

If you don't have a place to sit in your garden, then the only time you'll go there is if you want to work on it.

This morning I took my coffee, my notes for the day, my camera and simply sat munching on an apple, swilling coffee and making notes for myself and my to-do list.

I took breaks from this work of the day to take a few decent pictures and really watched my garden grow for minutes on end. It wasn't a long contemplative silence but it was therapeutic. I watched the spider webs dissolve on the daylily flower. I watched a hummingbird buzz by - saw the Canada geese in flight-formation-training go by 30 feet overhead - got walked over by spiders searching for their morning's meal - and saw the light move into my garden saluting the day.

It was a magical period of time and I'm the better for it I think.

But it all starts with having a place to put up your feet.

11 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Yvonne said...

You got me. This is the one thing I don't do much in my garden, even though we have many garden seats. Sitting seems to happen in front of the computer, rarely in the garden.

Hmmm, may have to come over and sit in your garden. ;-)

Cheers, Y

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like that... it all starts with putting up your feet. I keep saying I've got a few more years of work before I can really just start enjoying my garden, but why not start now?

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I love that post.I think i will link it and write a response on my blog.You need to smell the roses i tell people.We are going to buy some cloth fold up chairs to sit in the garden, a table for drinks and meals.And a lot of citronella candles to keep the winged beasties away.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

Great post!!! I agree. I live in Florida, and have a container garden/Courtyard, and the ONLY time to sit in the "garden" at this time of year is in the morning...

I love your blog, I love your pictures!!

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, my co-worker and I like to take our morning breaks looking at my garden. It gets really HOT here in Louisiana and you have to sit out early! We both work the graveyard shift and get to see the garden and the morning light rises over the bougainvilleas and roses. Thank you for your site as you have helped me a great deal as I am new to gardening. Enjoy!!

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, those feet look very clean. I suppose you wear shoes when upright. Thanks for the reminder that I must get a foot-propper-upper for the shady garden.

I have mastered the art of watching my garden -- too well.

L

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite place to set is out on the front porch with all my plants. I have a nice misting system out there that keeps me cool and my plants happy too . It is hot in Oklahoma at this time of year so the mister helps . I set out there early in the morning and in the evening after dinner is done and kids are settling in for the night . I have several other places to set and "watch the grass grow" and just relax and smell the flowers . Everyone needs a quiet place to retreat and I am happiest in my yard .

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger WashingtonGardener said...

Great reminder! My problem is a bring a good garden magazine and galss of lemonade, settle into the chair, then not 30 seconds later find my mind and eyes wandering - next thing I know I'm up and outta there weeding or moving something. I've forgotten all about my 'rest break' and my whole point of being out there. Maybe I have aform of hardening ADD.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to this site, and was thrilled with the tips and posts. Today was the 1st day in 10 that we have been able to get outside. First we had 12" of rain, then directly into 95degree weather. After actually sitting in the garden and getting eaten by the skeeters, I rushed in and grabbed what I thought was rubbing alcohol to put on the bites. I got the peroxide by mistake, but it really worked. It didn't sting and the swelling is gone with no more itching,,,so the porch sitting was definately worth it!!

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I can relate to your comment. I have recently done a job that involved visiting over 500 houses which gave me an insight into what I like (not that I didn't have a good idea). But now I know what I would not be comfortable in. Landscaped gardens with straight tiled paths finishing with a 'square and a ball' water feature. This belongs in the Taj Mahal not a suburban garden. Roses set 3 feet exactly apart, soil but no mulch. In fact I don't like neatness in a garden, I want excitement, surprises, projects (finished or otherwise), things that reflect the owner/s personalities and not from a tv show. My garden has tree ferns (covered by shade and throw away beach umbrellas in summer) watered by washing machine, flowers and vegetables growing happily together, especially foxgloves with spinach and bok choy. No squares, lots of curves. My recycled tables and chairs big enough to accommodate newspapers and study books. If the garden is created as you 'feel' then you will be more inclined to spend time there.

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the newsletters and am just realizing what a "blog" is.
Anyway, I have a large garden, and made a nice shady sitting area,I face South,so I put a trellis all around and grow morning glory on one side, and gourds on the other.These make a great topic of conversation.Although, I haven't had much time to just sit and enjoy, this little haven has tempted me for a
few times to sit, listen, smell and be happy that I am where I am, and promise to come back next time with my tea, and my book and of course the pest spray.!! Even the
cat likes to come and sit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home