Friday, July 14, 2006

It's a fight to the death


Who ever said that flower gardening was a gentle sport? Who can pretend that all is light and best wishes out in the flower garden?

This is a blood sport.

To the victor goeth the spoils and in this case, survival.

There's only going to be one winner in this epic struggle and it's anybody's guess. The bindweed (Convolvus arvensis) has a chokehold on the daylily (Hemerocallis fulva) and it is anybody's guess who's going to slap the mat first.

I saw these two going at it the other day at the marina where I keep my boat and couldn't help but be amazed at how Mother Nature really does let the fit survive and the weak perish. Both of these guys were growing in gravel and rock and full hot sun but ready to fight for their turf. The bindweed had completely pulled the flower stalk sideways (this is not trick photography) and was pulling it down with its weight.

But the winner will be determined next year when we see who survives the winter.

4 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm betting on the bind weed... sorry to say. Though together the pink orange green combination is not unattractive. The mugger look of the bind weed however is not very endearing.

Also wanted to say how much I enjoy your webmails! Have read your first book and got a lot out of it.

Congrats also on the folk boat! She should be a sturdy little vessel.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger lisa said...

i know that bindweed IS a weed....but i think it's pretty, too. luckily in my zone 4 garden, it doesn't spread as badly as in other areas. so far, i don't even have enough to pull up or worry about. (not going out of my way to plant any, though!)

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just finished my second time pulling and unwinding this nasty plant off my plants and fence. I live in North Dakota, zone 4 or 3 depends on the plant.
Our hot weather has made weeds feel in Heaven.

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness sake.. I thought those were morning glories. I have them in my garden and my husband loves them but I pull them out when they're choking the flowers. My husband always plants morning glories but those other things come up wherver. We thought they were volunteer morning glories. Are they really called choke weeds?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home