Thursday, July 13, 2006

This is what I miss in my garden

water lily
Even though I live on an island surrounded by water - I don't have these plants within easy driving distance. These are plants of calm water - not the big water of my life. So I'm going to have to dig ponds if I want to look at and smell these great plants. I was reminded of what I was missing today when I was on a small photoshoot for a magazine article I'm writing.

I like water gardening way too much which is why I'm in the process of writing an entire website about them.

And contrary to what most folks think, if you set up your water garden properly - it is the easiest form of gardening. If you don't do it properly - this kind of gardening is hell.

The trick is to remember that this is an ecosystem and if you balance it - you win. If you try to garden like you do in the ground in an unbalanced ecology - you lose and the green water and algae win. In the soil-garden, there's a middle ground between success and failure. There is no middle ground in the water garden.

But do it right (mostly in construction and plant balancing) and you have a garden of great beauty.

And about that promise not to build more gardens a few blogs back...

I'll get back to you.

2 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger lisa said...

i love these plants too! i had some rather amazing sucess with a tabletop water garden kit last year (from menard's of all places!), but when i attempted a washtub water garden this year, i made several mistakes, and now it's a slimy mosquito farm! i know what went wrong-started too late in season, no snails, etc.) so next year will go much better, i hope-cuz' i plan to buy a couple rather expensive lillies, including a night-bloomer! so keep us posted of your sucess...and i hope to do the same!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger lisa said...

check my blog to see my little water garden from last year...kinda cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home