Sunday, July 30, 2006

Anticipation

hibiscus
I spent an hour or more this morning following the light across the garden as the sun rose. I was up early anyway and playing with the camera and the different light settings. One thing I took a lot of pictures of were the developing buds on my perennials-yet-to-bloom.

There's an anticipation with flower buds. A delicious anticipation of something magnificent and full of portent for the garden view.

The buds on my two hibiscus have been sitting there for some time, just slowly - ever so slowly - getting larger and larger. And I'm waiting and working on developing the patience needed to be a real gardener.
hibiscus
Real gardeners have patience. They've learned to harvest this year but plant for next. They think in terms of planting perennials for a few years down the line and trees for their children.

Gardens teach us a lot when we're not looking.

And we have to have patience to learn those lessons. That was one of my lessons this morning while I watched the sun come up.

I'm workin' on it but I fear I have a long way to go.

2 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

i wrote that same idea down in my blog.Gardening is patience,i have been waiting for Dahlia to flower for a week.Today it has opened (see photo).I have been brought up in an everything now environment, fast food, broadband internet.The garden takes me back to when life was slower.when you patiently grew flowers, and waited for the buds.planning with perennials and tree's.I try and do that now.planning for next year, knowing some of the plants will be older, a little bigger.great post Doug!

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo. Neat translucent effect. Hope the deer don't eat your buds. Ciao.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home