Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Coneflower in the Sunrise


This is another of the wonderful light in the morning shots. There's a few things that will get in the way of this series. I'm enjoying sleeping in too much now that cooler temperatures have returned. Many of the bigger perennials are finishing off and because I moved the garden this spring, there are a lot of plants that will hold off blooming until next year. I do have one Kirengeshoma that has been teasing me with its fat buds for several weeks now but after that, I think I'll be on second flush roses and some other things I've already done.

What this garden needs is more variety and I'm working on that. Got a few more perennials today from Darwin and I'm looking forward to seeing how they grow. One of the delights in this business is being able to trial new plants and see how and if they grow in my garden.

In any case, this Echinacea or Coneflower has been blooming for well over a month now and is impressing me all to heck. The yellow colour in the morning is amazing - from early light it simply shines. And later in the day, the yellow deepens and becomes rather translucent.

I'd recommend this plant for your garden without reservation. It is available through most good garden centers. Look for Echinacea 'Sunrise'.

5 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried any of the orange ones? I'd love to know your thoughts on them.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous picture, and gorgeous flower. I've heard mixed reviews on the hardiness of those new echinacea cultivars, though. Has 'Sunrise' overwintered for you yet in the garden, or is this her first year?

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Doug Green said...

All the Echinacea have been hardy for me in USDA 4. No problems with the yellows, oranges, whites, doubles, variegated leaf, etc etc. I've had or have most of the new introductions over the past 3-4 years (working in a big wholesale perennial nursery had some advantages while I was there) :-) And yes, I love them all.

Doug

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the review, Doug! I hope that I'm similarly lucky with 'Sunrise,' in spite of my relatively lighter green thumb. *grin*

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is so interesting, and i'll check back to read more of it when I have time. I'm new at blogging and can learn from you.
Your photos are great too.
Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home