Friday, August 18, 2006

Cottage Garden Plant Combination

cottage garden combination
You know you really do have to take the bull by the horns (or is that shooting the bull?) and go bold or go home every now and then.

This dwarf hollyhock (the purple "thing" - I can't tell you its name or I'd have to kill you) is paired up (quite accidentally) with a yellow glad.

Now the glad came in a mix and there were only 2 yellow (the majority were white - so much for a mix)

The Hollyhock is a new introduction I have on trial - and I knew it was purple - I just didn't know it was that bright! purple.

So when the hollyhock met the glad last week, I knew I had to take a picture.

And that's how plant combinations sometimes happen in the cottage garden design - serendipity or as my grandfather would have said - "by chance or by gawd".

Both for good and for bad and I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Tea said...

Beautiful!
I want to try hollyhocks in my garden next year. I love them. But I`ve heard that they are finicky and may only come up every other year. How true is that I wonder?
Hubby is going to make me a little light stand so I can try growing some plants from seed over the winter.
Enjoy reading your blog.

tea

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

That is quite a pair. I also bought a "mix" of glads (someone's school fund-raising project) and they were also mostly white.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have holly hocks in my flower beds . They come up , sometimes for a couple years without blooms , just lots of green lush leaves . I have had mine in for 3 years now and this is the first year any bloomed . They have come up every year though since I put the seeds in the ground . I have some more that I am going to put out this fall . That is the best time to put seeds in the ground .

 
At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aspartame for controlling ants

read your request for tests using aspartame for controlling ant infestation. this is my first time replying to a blog so sorry if this is not the right place to answer.

been using the aspatame for about 10 days. after 10 days, am finally seeing big drop in number of ants in the house.

sugar ant test mixture: 1 packet Nutrasweet, approx 2 tablespoons water, 1 or 2 teaspoons maple syrup.

grease ant test mixture: 2 packets Nutrasweet in a scant quarter cup of chicken fat.

don't know for sure if drop is completely because of aspartame, though. next-door neighbor sprayed for ants and i wonder if that's affecting "my" ants.

thanks for setting up this test.
maryann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home