Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Funny and Sad at the same time

OK -so I read this before my coffee hit bottom this morning and I confess it struck me as kinda funny. Seems we need a legal conference on the right to garden - garden public policy as it were.

The objective of the conference is, "Drake University's Agricultural Law Center will host a two-day conference to examine how public policy can be used to promote opportunities for individuals and communities to garden."

What does it say about our society when we need to have a law school or public policy promoting gardening.

My gawd people.

I can understand how we might need some public policy to get communities to create public gardens.

But it speaks volumes to the society we live in that we need a public policy to promote our own ability to garden in our own space. That somebody would want to "unpromote" our ability to do this.

Given the restrictions in some housing areas on what you can and can't do with your garden (no native gardens instead of lawns etc) maybe we need a "law" telling us we can garden. Great law! Great attitude!

How absolutely sad.

3 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

I think this is just another example of how our society has moved so far away from simple pleasures. A big part of this "conference" is focusing on schools promoting gardening. Although it is strange that this is being put on by a law school...

I am amazed at how little (using that word I am being generous) the majority of people I meet know or even care about growing anything other than their financial portfolio. They either think it is a waste of time, or that is what yard maintenance services are for, and anyone can do that sort of thing. So they leave their offices, get in their Hummers and pull into their garages and walk into their houses, pray for it NOT to rain, so they can spend the weekend on the manicured golf course.

I am just thankful for my Dad who raised me to appreciate watching, helping and learning about things that grow. He gave me something that I couldn't buy. I am willing to share it if anyone is interested, but so far, I can't seem to find any takers....

That is why I love this blog!!!

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a nod and some applause for the wonderful guerrilla gardeners! What a gift to find a formerly naked/ugly corner now filled with the colour and fragrance of native or local plants
which some angel had the urge to share with us all. Thank you all.

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely Heidi , todays society has its values way out of whack . I also learned alot from my parents and grandparents about appreciating life's simple pleasures .

The small town I live in is great . I do alot of gardening here on my property and with my neighbors . We share seeds and plants and tips and such . My children help out with mowing and maintenance too. I want them to have the basic know how and hopefully appreciate it more when they can say " I can do it myself ". Some say I am cheep , but I say I am thrifty . I love to do it myself rather than pay someone else to take care of my gardens .

I learned to love it when working with my dad in his gardens . We would work for hours , or sometimes it seems like days on projects . Then when we were done we would set back and plan the next one while appreciating the beauty of the first one . I would not trade those great memories for anything anyone has in their portfolio .

Loving the simple life ....ahhhhh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home