Monday, July 10, 2006

Here's a perfect example

green worm on rose
Here's a perfect example of something that would send many gardeners screaming for the pesticides. These critters are simply devouring a containerized rose.

Pity.

I picked up the watering hose and with the strongest jet I could conjur up - blew 'em all off the rose. I have no idea where they wound up but they haven't climbed back onto the rose. And nearby plants don't seem to be suffering any at this point.

It's 5 days after the hosing and the point is well made.

No chemicals. No fuss. No muss. Just blow the pests off the plants with a strong jet of water.

What could possibly be easier?

And why would you ever decide to take the time to mix noxious crap - and then spread it around the garden when all it takes is a jet of water?

It's beyond me.

8 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

amen.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, now, these little green pests are eating something else somewhere else. Or, did you kill them when you sprayed them with the high power jet of water?

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Susan Harris said...

Exactly. And choosing the most pest-resistant roses possible, at least for me.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's beyond me, too. I can only guess that we've gotten to the point that unless it's antibacterial, lemon-scented and comes in a bright yellow can we assume that it can't possibly be strong enough to work. :(

By the way, I love your "common" daylilies by the mailbox!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I don't get it, either.

Although when the dogwood sawfly come out, I'm at my wit's end, even with the hose! ARRRGH!

More persistant than cabbageworms.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

anonymous -

Most pests are plant specific, so if you get'em away from their host plant they won't find fodder and die.

This is why you hear plants being advertised as 'host plants' for butterflies - milkweed and fennel are two that come immediately to my mind!

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet that would work on deer as well, wonder how strong the jet nof water would have to be -- maybe as part of a water feature with an electric eye or something along those lines -- ummm -- I better copywrite this idea.

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, there is a hose thing with an electric eye. It's called the Scarecrow and is very cool. Do a Google search.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home