Monday, October 23, 2006

Cutting Jack O Lanterns

Let's be safe out there folks.

Get rid of the knives when carving pumpkins.

The simplest way is to use a small electric sabre saw. Those little saws can cut compound curves, back up, reverse and can make any pattern you can imagine.

If you don't have one of those in your toolbox (you should - they're very versatile tools) then stop in at your favourite hardware store and pick up a hack saw blade or a stiff scroll saw blade or even a keyhole saw (I've recently seen keyhole saws on the "buck table") to make carving that pumpkin a safe job for even a small child. Not that you're likely to carve keyholes but they are fantastic pumpkin carving tools.

Get rid of the sharp knives and start using saws. Better, safer pumpkins as a result. Pass this thought along...

And post some pictures on your blog of your pumpkin with links on the comment sections here.

5 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

The simplest way is to use a small electric sabre saw.

*LAUGHING*

So funny.

Keyhole saw is an EXCELLENT idea!
For those of us who don't have Tim Taylor Tendencies...

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Doug Green said...

Well... I will have you know that I inherited my dad's tools. And his collection makes TT's look like a beginner's collection.

I now have a perfectly wonderful toolbelt that I'll try to wear without giggling this winter in my shop. :-)

But seriously folks...

Those saws are much safer than a knife trying to poke holes in an inch-thick pumpkin skin.

 
At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An electric saw of that sort sounds like a great idea when just wanting to cut up a pumpkin to cook! (Not being into carving pumpkins here in Australia). It beats the small hatchet favoured by my Mum.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Corinne! I needed a good laugh. I can just visualize my Mum attacking the pumpkin with a hachett.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger lisa said...

http://www.extremepumpkins.com/

Check out this link Doug...be careful though, these are some rather PG rated pumkins! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home