Saturday, June 10, 2006

Variegated Daylily - my new project


I've had this variegated daylily for some years now but never done anything with it. Every year it throws a new green shoot instead of the variegation and if I don't do anything, pretty soon the green is as large as the variegated part. If I left it alone, I'm pretty sure the green would crowd out the other part. This reversion bothers the heck out of me and this year is the start of me doing something about it. I'm going to pollinate the flower (an orange) with some of the nearby fancy hybrids, collect the resulting seedlings and start a breeding programme to see if I can stabilize this leaf colouring. Probably not - but I'll have a heck of a lot of fun trying.

I don't know about you, but I need a project or five to interest me in going out and doing the weeding.

It is so cold here today that I need to dream about future gardening because when I go out later this afternoon to work, I'll be wearing long-johns and touques. Where did my summer go?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home