Friday, September 29, 2006

My Favorite Bonsai

bonsai
Now this bonsai isn't all that old (I don't consider 50-ish old) :-) but it is an amazing bit of both garden art and horticulture. This darn thing is an entire forest in a single bonsai dish.

I can watch this plant arrangement for a long time and never get tired of it. And I have.

Wonderful stuff but I'm afraid not for the average gardener who kills them within a few weeks.

And with my watering record - they don't have a chance.

But that doesn't stop me from admiring those masters who do grow these wonderful plants.

3 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger lisa said...

I love the look of bonsai, too! I have a lilac I'm gonna try NOT to kill and start it as a bonsai project...I plan to do some homework beforehand, though. That way if I do kill it, I may at least have an idea as to why!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,
I have always wanted to try a bonsai but not enough time.
I'm retiring next spring and look forward to many challenges in the garden. I will keeep the bonsai on hold till then.
Love your newsletters. they are fillied with so much information even for a seasoned gardener.
Have a great day
Diane

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A word to the wise; read your plant food info.
I decided to give my Juniper Bonsai of several years a "shot" of nutrients. If only I had read the label, where it specifically said NOT to use it on Juniper or Ivy! The plant never lost her looks, just dried; leaves & all still intact. A discouraging ruination. I keep telling myself I will try another ... some day.
Jenny of the Bay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home